These biscuits will keep for a week in a cake tin.
- 325g/11oz plain flour
- 200g /7oz butter, chilled
- 125g/41/2oz golden caster sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 large egg yolks
you will need
- 2-3 baking trays lined with baking parchment
- Set the oven to 180C, 160C fan, gas 4. Place the butter, flour and sugar in a food processor and blend until it makes fine crumbs. Add the egg yolks and continue to blend until the mixture clumps together (or rub the butter into the flour until it forms bread crumbs, then stir in the sugar and egg yolks and beat with a wooden spoon until it forms a dough).
- Turn out onto a lightly floured work surface and knead lightly into a ball. Wrap in cling film and chill for 30 mins.
- Roll the mixture out on a lightly floured work surface and cut out your shapes.
- We use fluted round cutters for some, using a smaller cutter to take out the centre of some to make ring shapes. We placed a doiley over some round shapes, and rolled lightly with a rolling pin to leave a pattern, and used fluted square cutters. To make the Christmas tree shapes we used a large tree cookie cutter. Make sure you cut a bottom and a top biscuit. In the top biscuit dough, cut little holes using various sized piping nozzles. We also used some square cutters. To decorate we used the end of a small star shaped piping nozzle or a wooden skewer to indent a pattern, or used the end of a large piping nozzle to cut out small holes in the dough.
- Place your biscuit on the baking trays. Bake for 10-15 mins depending on size and thickness, or until just pale golden. Allow to cool for 10 mins on the baking trays then cool completely. If liked, sandwich the biscuits with jam, dust with icing sugar and tie with ribbon.
Christmas Cake Tray Bake
For a quick and easy alternative to Christmas cake, try out this Christmas Cake Tray Bake. It's packed with all the delicious fruit you'd expect and is so quick!
By Samuel Goldsmith • Published
Burnt Basque Cheesecake with Mulberry sauce
Once we tried our first slice of burnt Basque cheesecake from San Sebastian, we knew it was love! We’ve paired ours with some seasonal berries for good measure.
By Rose Fooks • Published
Christmas pudding cheesecake
This Christmas pudding cheesecake makes an excellent pud for the Boxing Day buffet
By Rose Fooks • Published
The Queen's heartbreaking joke to national treasure Sir David Attenborough
The Queen's heartbreaking joke to national treasure Sir David Attenborough shows despite gloomy topics—she's always got a sense of humor
By Aoife Hanna • Published
11 inspirational poetry quotes that will get you thinking
These inspirational poetry quotes from the likes of William Shakespeare, Emily Dickinson, and Maya Angelou pack a powerful punch
By Arielle Tchiprout • Published
The strange reason this expert wants you to continue wearing masks
Masks can help save you from infection and disease, but can wearing a face mask also help you get a date? This study suggests so...
By Laura Harman • Published