These biscuits will keep for a week in a cake tin.
- 325g/11oz plain flour
- 200g /7oz butter, chilled
- 125g/41/2oz golden caster sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 large egg yolks
you will need
- 2-3 baking trays lined with baking parchment
- Set the oven to 180C, 160C fan, gas 4. Place the butter, flour and sugar in a food processor and blend until it makes fine crumbs. Add the egg yolks and continue to blend until the mixture clumps together (or rub the butter into the flour until it forms bread crumbs, then stir in the sugar and egg yolks and beat with a wooden spoon until it forms a dough).
- Turn out onto a lightly floured work surface and knead lightly into a ball. Wrap in cling film and chill for 30 mins.
- Roll the mixture out on a lightly floured work surface and cut out your shapes.
- We use fluted round cutters for some, using a smaller cutter to take out the centre of some to make ring shapes. We placed a doiley over some round shapes, and rolled lightly with a rolling pin to leave a pattern, and used fluted square cutters. To make the Christmas tree shapes we used a large tree cookie cutter. Make sure you cut a bottom and a top biscuit. In the top biscuit dough, cut little holes using various sized piping nozzles. We also used some square cutters. To decorate we used the end of a small star shaped piping nozzle or a wooden skewer to indent a pattern, or used the end of a large piping nozzle to cut out small holes in the dough.
- Place your biscuit on the baking trays. Bake for 10-15 mins depending on size and thickness, or until just pale golden. Allow to cool for 10 mins on the baking trays then cool completely. If liked, sandwich the biscuits with jam, dust with icing sugar and tie with ribbon.
Cheese and bacon hush puppies
Once you’ve tried one, you’ll be back for more!
By Jessica Ransom •
Scallops with samphire and lemon
These delicious scallops with samphire and lemon make an impressive starter
By Elisa Roche •
Homemade brioche buns with lemon mayo prawns
Learn how to make soft buttery brioche buns at home
By Jessica Ransom •
Bobbi Brown on starting over at 63
Bobbi Brown is starting over at 63 with a new beauty brand and a new zest for life.
By Fiona Embleton •
Prince Harry supports new mental health toolkit to help first responders oversees
This online resource will help improve first responders' wellbeing
By Emma Shacklock •
What will Kate Garraway's book be about as husband Derek remains in hospital?
What will be in the GMB star's new book?
By Robyn Morris •