This chicken and sweetcorn noodle soup is inspired by the traditional Asian cuisine and makes a great healthy chicken recipe. Star anise, root ginger and shiitake mushrooms combined with soy sauce and Thai fish sauce make for a lovely spiced soup. For more delicious ideas, have a look at our other soup recipes.
HOW TO MAKE CHICKEN AND SWEETCORN NOODLE SOUP
- Place the chicken stock in a large shallow pan with the star anise, garlic cloves, root ginger and chicken breasts, bring to a very gentle simmer, cover the pan and cook for around 20-25 minutes, turning the chicken once, until it is cooked through. The stock should be steaming but not bubbling during the cooking, so keep an eye on it. When the chicken is cooked, remove it and allow to cool slightly. Add the rice vinegar, fish and soy sauces to the pan.
- Add the mushrooms to the pan and cook for another five minutes, until they are softened. Shred the chicken and return to the soup with the cooked noodles and sweetcorn, allow to cook for another couple of minutes, then stir through the coriander and serve. This soup will keep in the fridge for 2 days, or can be frozen for up to a month.
- 1ltr good quality chicken stock (we love Heston’s, from Waitrose)
- 2 star anise
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and bashed
- large thumb size piece root ginger, sliced
- 2 free-range chicken breasts, skin off
- 4tsp rice vinegar
- 2tsp Thai fish sauce
- 1tbsp soy sauce
- 150g shiitake mushrooms
- 2 fine egg noodle nests (we used sharwood’s), cooked and cooled
- 1x198g can sweetcorn, drained and rinsed
- small handful coriander, leaves roughly chopped
Woman & Home's Vanity Edit: Our favorite launches and products this week
We highlight the latest and greatest beauty heroes on the market, from ultra-thin eyeliners to magnetic mascaras. Here's what's currently in trend.
By Dominique McIntee •
Demi Lovato shares post calling out "transphobic" gender reveal parties
The star reposted the series of nine posts to her Instagram feed earlier this week
By Lucy Abbersteen •
Prince Harry reveals surprising opinion of Netflix show 'The Crown'
The prince has just been interviewed by James Corden for The Late Late Show
By Lucy Abbersteen •