By Woman and Home published
This chicken and sweetcorn noodle soup is inspired by the traditional Asian cuisine and makes a great healthy chicken recipe. Star anise, root ginger and shiitake mushrooms combined with soy sauce and Thai fish sauce make for a lovely spiced soup. For more delicious ideas, have a look at our other soup recipes.
HOW TO MAKE CHICKEN AND SWEETCORN NOODLE SOUP
- Place the chicken stock in a large shallow pan with the star anise, garlic cloves, root ginger and chicken breasts, bring to a very gentle simmer, cover the pan and cook for around 20-25 minutes, turning the chicken once, until it is cooked through. The stock should be steaming but not bubbling during the cooking, so keep an eye on it. When the chicken is cooked, remove it and allow to cool slightly. Add the rice vinegar, fish and soy sauces to the pan.
- Add the mushrooms to the pan and cook for another five minutes, until they are softened. Shred the chicken and return to the soup with the cooked noodles and sweetcorn, allow to cook for another couple of minutes, then stir through the coriander and serve. This soup will keep in the fridge for 2 days, or can be frozen for up to a month.
- 1ltr good quality chicken stock (we love Heston’s, from Waitrose)
- 2 star anise
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and bashed
- large thumb size piece root ginger, sliced
- 2 free-range chicken breasts, skin off
- 4tsp rice vinegar
- 2tsp Thai fish sauce
- 1tbsp soy sauce
- 150g shiitake mushrooms
- 2 fine egg noodle nests (we used sharwood’s), cooked and cooled
- 1x198g can sweetcorn, drained and rinsed
- small handful coriander, leaves roughly chopped
Christmas Cake Tray Bake
For a quick and easy alternative to Christmas cake, try out this Christmas Cake Tray Bake. It's packed with all the delicious fruit you'd expect and is so quick!
By Samuel Goldsmith • Published
Burnt Basque Cheesecake with Mulberry sauce
Once we tried our first slice of burnt Basque cheesecake from San Sebastian, we knew it was love! We’ve paired ours with some seasonal berries for good measure.
By Rose Fooks • Published
Christmas pudding cheesecake
This Christmas pudding cheesecake makes an excellent pud for the Boxing Day buffet
By Rose Fooks • Published
Victim blaming—how Ashling Murphy's murder highlights internalized misogyny in the UK
Ashling Murphy's recent murder has highlighted the UK and Ireland's continued issue with victim blaming
By Laura Harman • Published
These are the highest-earning breakup songs on Spotify
Because everyone loves a good breakup song...
By Anna Rahmanan • Published
Prince Harry 'desperate' to get back to UK as he still wants Lilibet to receive royal christening
Prince Harry 'will make an effort' to return to the UK this year to give Lilibet a royal christening
By Robyn Morris • Published