- 300g shortcrust pastry
- 500ml Elmlea Double Light Cream
- 5 egg yolks
- 75g Parmesan cheese, finely grated freshly grated nutmeg
- 350g asparagus spears, trimmed
- 90g pack cooked ham hock to garnish (optional)
- 2tbsp grated Parmesan cheese, mixed with 2tbsp chopped flat leaf parsley
You will need:
- a 20cm deep, fluted tart tin, greased
- Roll the pastry to the thickness of a £1 coin, line the tin, but leave a little pastry hanging over the sides. Chill for at least 20 minutes. Meanwhile, mix the cream, egg yolks, 40g of the Parmesan, the nutmeg and some salt and pepper. Set aside in the fridge.
- Heat the oven to 180C, gas 4. Blanch the asparagus for 1 minute, drain then cool under cold running water. Set aside.
- Line the pastry with foil and fill with baking beans. Bake for 20 minutes, remove the beans and cook for another
- 5-10 minutes until lightly browned. Once cool enough to handle, trim the excess pastry from the edges with a sharp knife to create a neat crust.
- Lower the oven to 150C, gas 2. Pour in the cream mixture, sprinkle over the ham hock, arrange the asparagus on top and sprinkle over remaining Parmesan. Bake for 1 hour-1 hour 15 minutes. Allow to cool slightly before serving.
Sign up to our free daily email for the latest royal and entertainment news, interesting opinion, expert advice on styling and beauty trends, and no-nonsense guides to the health and wellness questions you want answered.
Asparagus and brie tarts
Asparagus takes centre stage in these asparagus and brie tart pastry bites that are perfect for lunch or tea.
By Samuel Goldsmith Published
Asparagus and cheese tart
By Jules Mercer Published
Eton mess tart
We’ve turned a traditional British pudding into a gorgeous white chocolate tart. Summer puddings don’t get any better than this Eton Mess tart.
By Rosie Conroy Published
Chocolate and hazelnut roulade
This chocolate and hazelnut roulade comes with an optional Baileys Irish cream liqueur filling for an extra, festive twist
By Jen Bedloe Published
This no-bake Baileys cheesecake is so easy to make and perfect for cream liqueur lovers, plus it takes just 40 minutes to prepare
By Jess Meyer Published
Chocolate torte with Baileys cream and salted praline
Serve this rich Chocolate torte with Baileys cream and salted praline for a festive dessert that makes a popular alternative to Christmas pudding
By Jen Bedloe Published
Plant trees for pollinators in need this spring with the Woodland Trust
Their easy-to-use and affordable packs will help you support our ecosystem
By Woman and Home Published
Best British crime dramas to watch for free from anywhere in the world
Here's a rundown of some of the best British crime dramas to watch from anywhere in the world
By Laura Harman Published
The real reason King Charles 'never eats lunch' revealed
The King never eats lunch, and the reason why has been revealed by a former royal correspondent
By Robyn Morris Published