serves:8 - 10
- 300g shortcrust pastry
- 500ml Elmlea Double Light Cream
- 5 egg yolks
- 75g Parmesan cheese, finely grated freshly grated nutmeg
- 350g asparagus spears, trimmed
- 90g pack cooked ham hock to garnish (optional)
- 2tbsp grated Parmesan cheese, mixed with 2tbsp chopped flat leaf parsley
- You will need:
- a 20cm deep, fluted tart tin, greased
Roll the pastry to the thickness of a £1 coin, line the tin, but leave a little pastry hanging over the sides. Chill for at least 20 minutes. Meanwhile, mix the cream, egg yolks, 40g of the Parmesan, the nutmeg and some salt and pepper. Set aside in the fridge.
Heat the oven to 180C, gas 4. Blanch the asparagus for 1 minute, drain then cool under cold running water. Set aside.
Line the pastry with foil and fill with baking beans. Bake for 20 minutes, remove the beans and cook for another
5-10 minutes until lightly browned. Once cool enough to handle, trim the excess pastry from the edges with a sharp knife to create a neat crust.
Lower the oven to 150C, gas 2. Pour in the cream mixture, sprinkle over the ham hock, arrange the asparagus on top and sprinkle over remaining Parmesan. Bake for 1 hour-1 hour 15 minutes. Allow to cool slightly before serving.