Ant and Dec have been in showbiz for 25 years and have many successful TV shows under their belts, including I’m A Celebrity Get Me Out Of Here, Saturday Night Takeaway and Britain’s Got Talent. Over the years, the pair have stolen the nation’s hearts with their light-hearted, witty presenting style. Primetime TV just wouldn’t be the same without them.
Here’s 13 unexpected facts that make us love the presenting duo even more (if that’s even possible)…
1) In 2003, the pair trademarked their title in the UK.
2) Ant is 5 foot 8 inches tall, whereas Dec is 5 foot 6 inches.
3) Ant always stands on the left and Dec on the right. They call it the “180-degree rule”.
4) The pair met on TV show Byker Grove when they were 14, Dec played the role of Duncan and Ant played PJ.
5) Ant has a phobia of spiders and Dec is scared of birds, which is pretty impressive considering the number of Bushtucker Trials they’ve hosted.
6) The pair have won the NTA presenting award 15 years in a row.
7) Ant and Dec didn’t get along when they first met, as they were both quite competitive, but soon bonded over their mutual love of Newcastle United.
8) In 1998 they presented SM:TV on Saturday mornings, alongside Cat Deeley. From 1998-2001 it became the most popular children’s TV show in ITV history.
9) 2002 marked an epic year for the duo, when both Saturday Night Takeaway and I’m A Celebrity Get Me Out Of Here launched. Today, 14 years on, both shows are still incredibly popular.
10) The pair live on the same road in West London. Dec even asked permission from Ant’s wife to buy the patch of land for sale near Ant’s house. They also have holiday homes in Portugal next door to each other.
11) Ant married Lisa Armstrong in 2006 (so he’s celebrating his 10th wedding anniversary this year) and Dec married Ali Astall in August 2015. They were best men at each other’s weddings.
12) The pair have taken out life insurance against one another and will receive a huge payout if the other one passes away.
13) Ant and Dec have just signed a three-year deal with ITV worth a reported £30 million – a whopping 20% pay rise for the pair.