Try these spicy chicken burgers with a definite twist tonight. Combine the tastes of the Orient (fresh root ginger, kaffir lime leaves and coriander) with avocado (fast becoming the UK’s most fashionable vegetable) and chilli, as well as sweet chilli sauce, for an added kick. Experiment with shapes for the mixture before frying (if you’re feeling adventurous and have time to spare). Enjoy hot at dinner time, or make extra for a cold, lunchtime portion the next day; swerve your lunchboxes in an exotic direction. They really are as tasty as you expect, just be sure to get the refrigeration, frying and oven cooking times just right. You don’t need to spend hours in the kitchen, but make sure you leave long enough to give each step the time it needs.
1. Finely chop the chicken breasts and transfer to a large mixing bowl. Add the chilli, spring onions, ginger, lime zest and lime leaves. Give everything a good mix and stir through the egg and half the coriander. Season well.
2. Heat the oven to 180C fan, gas 6. Shape the chicken mix into 8 burgers and put on a lined baking tray. Set aside in the fridge for 10 minutes before gently ﬂouring. Fry on both sides until browned, then put them in the oven and cook for 15 minutes or until cooked through.
3. For the salad, put the avocado, lime juice, olive oil and remaining coriander in a bowl, mix and season to taste. Serve the burgers with the avocado salad and some sweet chilli sauce.
- 4 large skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- ¼ red chilli, ﬁnely chopped
- 3 spring onions, ﬁnely chopped
- 5cm fresh root ginger, grated
- Zest and juice of 1 lime
- 3 dried kaffir lime leaves, soaked in water and chopped
- 1 free-range egg, beaten
- 1 bunch coriander, roughly chopped
- 2tbsp seasoned ﬂour
- Oil, for frying
- 2 ripe avocados, diced
- ½ tbsp olive oil
- 5tbsp sweet chilli sauce