This chilled and refreshing pea and cucumber soup is perfect to enjoy on a hot summer’s day. It’s very easy to make, just blend all the ingredients together in a blender, but it takes a while to freeze it so make sure you have left enough time. If you have a freezer, put the soup there for 20 minutes or up to one hour in the refrigerator.
Looking for more inspiration? We have plenty of other delicious, hot and chilled soup recipes.
Read more at http://www.womanandhome.com/recipes/534289/pea-and-cucumber-soup-recipe#1jABy92iFA1T6rVp.99https://cms.womanandhome.com/index.php/Articles/edit/id/533724
- 4 cups (1¾ pints/1 litre) ice-cold water
- 1½ cups (5oz/150g) cucumber, peeled and sliced
- 1⅓ cups (7oz/200g) frozen peas
- ½ garlic clove
- pinch of fresh or dried savory or a mixture of dried thyme and dried mint
- 2 tsp sea salt
- 3½ slices (3½oz/100g) stale sourdough bread without crusts, torn into small pieces
- To serve:
- ⅓ cup (3½oz/100g) cucumber, cut into thin matchsticks
- ⅔ cup (4oz/100g) fresh peas
- 4 tbsp heavy cream (double cream) or cottage cheese
Put half the water and all the remaining ingredients into a blender or food processor. Blend for 1 minute, until you have a smooth, liquid consistency. Add the remaining water and blend for another 3 seconds. Transfer to a bowl and place in the refrigerator for 1 hour or in the freezer for 20 minutes
About 30 minutes before you are ready to serve the soup, chill 4 bowls until icy cold by placing them in the freezer. Mix the soup well (water has a tendency to separate from other ingredients in solution), then pour into the chilled bowls. Divide the cucumber and peas among the bowls, then top each serving with 1 tablespoon of cream.