This recipe is taken from Christmas with Gordon, by Gordon Ramsay (Quadrille Publishing, RRP £15)
- 250g medium new potatoes, scrubbed
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2?3 tbsp olive oil, plus extra to drizzle
- 12 large king scallops, shelled and cleaned
- 70g mixed baby salad leaves
- squeeze of lemon juice
- For the Caper, raisin and olive vinaigrette
- 25g capers, rinsed and drained
- 25g raisins
- 25g green olives, pitted
- 100ml water
- 1 tbsp white balsamic vinegar or white wine vinegar
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
Cook the potatoes in a pan of salted water for 12?15 minutes until just tender. Drain and leave until cool enough to handle, then peel away the skins and slice into 5mm thick rounds. Set aside.
For the vinaigrette, put the capers, raisins, olives and water into a small pan and bring to a simmer. Immediately tip into a food processor and add the vinegar, olive oil and some seasoning. Whiz until smooth.
When ready to serve, heat a little olive oil in a large frying pan and sauté the sliced potatoes with some salt and pepper for 2 minutes on each side, or until golden and crisp. Remove and keep warm.
Wipe the pan clean with kitchen paper, then heat a little more oil in it until very hot. Lightly season the scallops on both sides then sauté in the oil for about a minute on each side, until golden brown and slightly springy when pressed. Remove from the pan to a warm plate and rest for a minute.
Meanwhile, toss the salad leaves with a little drizzle of olive oil, a squeeze of lemon juice and a pinch each of salt and pepper. Pile a little mound in the centre of each serving plate. Surround with the pan-fried scallops and arrange the potato slices around them. Spoon over a little vinaigrette and serve immediately.