You can’t go wrong with a classic cottage pie, it’s a great mince recipe that the whole family love and this delicious veggie packed version is just as good.
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 sticks celery, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 leek, finely chopped
- 800g (1lb 12oz) good-quality beef mince
- 2tbsp tomato purée
- large splash Worcestershire sauce
- 2tbsp red wine vinegar
- couple splashes Tabasco
- 400ml (14fl oz) beef stock
- 1 bay leaf
- 410g tin cannellini beans, rinsed
- for the topping
- 1kg (2lb 4oz) sweet potato, peeled and cut into chunks
- 50g (2oz) butter
- 200g (7oz) Gruyère cheese, grated
Heat a large sauté pan and add a splash of oil. When hot, add the onion, celery, carrots and leek, and fry gently for 5 to 10 minutes until softened slightly. Turn up the heat, season the mince well and tip into the pan, stirring occasionally until it has browned. Add the tomato purée, stir and allow to cook for a couple of minutes, then add the Worcestershire sauce, red wine vinegar, Tabasco, stock and bay leaf. Bring to a simmer.
Turn down the heat and simmer gently, stirring occasionally. After an hour, add the beans and cook for a further 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, boil the sweet potato for about 20 minutes until tender, then drain and mash with the butter, some seasoning and all but a handful of the Gruyère. Heat the oven to 200 C, 180 C fan, 400 F, gas 6. Transfer the mince to 4 pie dishes (or 1 large one), and top with the mash. Sprinkle the remaining Gruyère on top and cook in the oven for 15 minutes, until the cheese is golden. Leave to stand for 5 minutes then serve with steamed kale.