- 2 x 400g (14oz) tin green lentils,
- 100ml (3fl oz) extra virgin olive oil, plus 1 tbsp
- 100g (4oz) pancetta
- 450g (1lb) large flat mushrooms or porcini, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- ½ tsp sugar
- 8 tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 6 spring onions, finely sliced
- 3 tbsp fresh parsley, roughly chopped
- 100g (4oz) rocket leaves
Drain and rinse the lentils and place in a large bowl.
Heat 1 tbsp oil in frying pan and cook the pancetta until golden and crisp. Add the mushrooms to the pan along with the garlic and fry for 5 minutes until soft and golden. Transfer to the lentils bowl.
Keeping the pan over a low heat pour in the vinegar and sugar and stir until dissolved. Add the oil and tomatoes and warm through. Pour into the lentil bowl and toss to coat.
Gently fold through the spring onions, parsley and rocket to serve.
There are a few different lentil varieties available which could be used instead of the green lentils