- 1.2 litres (2pt) full-fat milk
- 4 free-range eggs
- 75g (3oz) golden caster sugar
- 150ml (¼pt) Bourbon, rum or brandy
- 150ml (¼pt) double cream, whipped (optional)
- freshly grated nutmeg, to serve
- you will need
- 4-6 heatproof glasses
Place the milk in a non-stick saucepan and heat to just below boiling point. Meanwhile, place the eggs and sugar in a large bowl and beat well until thoroughly combined. Pour on half the milk, stir well then return all the mixture to the pan with the rest of the warm milk.
Cook on a low heat until the mixture starts to thicken, but do not allow to boil. Add the Bourbon, rum or brandy and stir well.
Pour into heat-proof glasses and top with whipped cream. Grate over plenty of fresh nutmeg and serve immediately.