- zest 1 lemon plus 1tbsp juice
- 100g (4oz) butter
- 100g (4oz) caster sugar
- 175g (6oz) plain flour
- 1 free-range egg yolk
- some paste food colourings
- 200g (7oz) sugar paste or fondant icing
- a little icing sugar and apricot jam
- sugar decorations or edible glitter, to decorate
- you will need
- shoe and handbag biscuit cutters, floured, and 2 baking trays, lightly oiled
Heat the oven to 180 C, 160 C fan, 350 F, gas 4. Place the lemon zest, butter, caster sugar and flour in a food processor and blend to fine crumbs. Add the egg yolk and lemon juice; blend again. If it’s a little powdery, add a touch of cold water. Gather into a ball, knead for a few minutes, wrap in clingfilm and chill for 15 minutes.
Dust a work surface with flour and roll the dough to the thickness of a £1 coin. Cut out shapes with cutters and place on a baking tray. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes until golden at the edges. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from the baking tray to cool.
Knead a tiny amount of colouring into the sugar paste. Dust the work surface with a little icing sugar, then roll out thinly and cut out the icing using the biscuit cutters. Brush each biscuit with a little jam, then press the sugar paste onto the biscuits and decorate.