Our rib of beef with baked horseradish allows the beautiful meat to shine. We’ve paired our beef with a baked horseradish stuffing, which adds a fiery kick.
- 2kg piece boned and rolled rib of beef
- a little oil
- 2 onions, roughly chopped
- 2 carrots, roughly chopped
- 100g fresh horseradish
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1tsp freshly grated nutmeg
- 120g breadcrumbs
- 5 eggs, beaten
- Season the beef, then heat a little oil in a frying pan or, better still, use a roasting tin on the hob if you can. Put the onions and carrots into the centre of the tin and sit the beef on it.
- Heat the oven to 240C, and roast the beef for 20 minutes, then turn down the oven to 180C, and roast for 1 hour. This will give you medium-rare beef, but it’s always worth checking with a meat thermometer to be sure.
- While the beef is in the oven, coarsely grate the horseradish and mix in the lemon at once, as it oxidises very quickly. Add the nutmeg, breadcrumbs, eggs and plenty of seasoning.
- Put the horseradish mix into a shallow, buttered ovenproof dish and cook at 180C , for 45 mins. If it’s browning, cover with foil.
- After cooking, allow the beef to rest for 15 minutes before serving with the stuffing.
Get the best entertainment news, recipes, fashion, beauty and wellbeing advice for you. For FREE.Sign up