Vegan pies are the perfect winter main for vegan friends and family. These inviting puff pastry pockets are filled with a spiced chickpea and beetroot mixture.
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1tbsp oil
- 300g pack cooked beetroot, chopped into small chunks
- 400g can chickpeas, drained
- 1tbsp ras el hanout
- 200g spinach
- 1tbsp tomato paste
- 325g puff pastry (Jus Rol standard puff is vegan)
- 150g chestnut mushrooms
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1tbsp vegetarian soy sauce
- 100g cooked
- puy lentils
- handful parsley, chopped
- Fry the onions in oil for 5 mins. Add the beetroot, chickpeas and ras el hanout, and cook for 10 mins. Add the tomato paste and spinach, and cook for a further 5 mins. Allow to cool, divide into 4, roll into balls and chill for 30 mins.
- For the duxelles, fry the mushrooms for 5 mins then add the garlic, soy and lentils, and cook for a further 5 mins. Blend with parsley and leave to cool.
- Roll out the pastry and cut out eight 12cm circles.
- Spread a layer of duxelles on each circle. Put a ball of filling onto 4 of the circles, then top with the remaining circles. Decorate with extra pastry. Crimp the edges and chill for 30 mins. Cook at 180C for 40 mins, until golden.
Get the best entertainment news, recipes, fashion, beauty and wellbeing advice for you. For FREE.Sign up