Our apple and cinnamon cake is a lightly spiced fruity bake that is perfect with your morning coffee. This simple sponge is elevated to become a beautiful bake with an eye-catching apple topping.
- 175g butter, softened
- 175g light muscovado sugar
- 3 free-range eggs
- 275g self-raising flour
- 1tsp ground cinnamon
- 3-4 eating apples, cored and thinly sliced
- 2tbsp warmed, sieved apricot jam
- 1tsp demerara sugar
- a 20cm round cake tin, the base lined with baking parchment
- Heat the oven to 190C. Put the butter and sugar in a bowl and beat until light and creamy. Gradually beat in the eggs, adding a little flour if the mixture curdles. Fold in the flour and cinnamon. Spread into the prepared tin.
- Arrange the apples on top of the cake mixture. Bake for 1 hr-1 hr 15 mins or until a skewer comes out clean (if necessary, cover the cake with baking parchment and return to the oven for a further 10 mins or until cooked). Transfer to a wire rack to cool for 5 mins. Brush the apples with apricot glaze and sprinkle with demerara sugar just before serving.
Get the best entertainment news, recipes, fashion, beauty and wellbeing advice for you. For FREE.Sign up