Bakewell Tart Slices
Bakewell tart slices are a twist on the classic British dessert that is perfect for picnics. These sweet almond cake bars are easy to make and very portable
- 375g pack sweet shortcrust pastry
- 5tbsp cherry conserve
- 200g natural glacé cherries, halved
- 100g flaked almonds
- 125g butter, softened
- 125g caster sugar
- 2 free-range eggs
- 125g self-raising flour
- ½tsp baking powder
- 1tsp almond extract
This recipe for Bakewell tart slices is so easy to make, and the slices are very portable so are the perfect thing to pack for a picnic.
HOW TO MAKE BAKEWELL TART SLICES
- Heat the oven to 200C, gas 6. Roll out the pastry and use to line the baking tin. Chill for 30 mins.
- Line the pastry case with baking parchment and beans; bake for 15 mins. Remove the beans and paper, and bake for a further 5 mins. Reduce the oven to 180C, gas 4. Spread the cherry conserve over the pastry and scatter with half the glacé cherries. Reserve 3tbsp flaked almonds and blend the rest until finely ground.
- Put the butter, sugar, eggs, flour, baking powder, almond extract and ground almonds into a bowl and beat with an electric whisk until smooth and creamy. Spoon on top of the pastry and scatter with the remaining glacé cherries and reserved flaked almonds.
- Bake for 40-45 mins until well risen and springy to the touch. Leave to cool in the tin, then invert, invert again and slice. They’ll keep for 4 days in an airtight container.