Icebox Cake with Chocolate, Hazelnut and Salted Caramel
Icebox cakes are the ultimate prepare ahead dessert, these freezer pies are so simple yet so stunning!
- 150g digestive biscuits
- 75g butter
- 250g chocolate ice cream, softened
- 250g salted caramel ice cream, softened
- 60g cream cheese
- 50g toasted hazelnuts
- 60g salted caramel sauce
- 25g dark chocolate, melted
Our icebox cake topping is made of an irresistible mix of chocolate, salted caramel, and toasted hazelnuts. This combination balances the sweetness of chocolate and caramel with a touch of salt, and the crunch of the hazelnuts provides an excellent contrast to the smooth ice cream filling.
One of the best things about this icebox cake recipes is that, as it's frozen, it can be prepared in advance and kept in the freezer. All you need to do is take it out of the freezer 15 minutes before serving so it can soften slightly and it's ready to be devoured.
We’ve used some of our favourite flavours in this icebox cake recipes, but you can use the base and the same quantity of any flavour of ice cream you like, then choose your add-ins and toppings, to customize this dessert with any combination of flavours you like.
- Simply whizz up the biscuits in a blender, mix in the butter then press into a 18-20cm pie tin, bringing the mixture up the sides.
- Leave in the fridge while you make the filling.
- Mix the ice creams and cream cheese together. Roughly chop the hazelnuts and add half to the ice cream, together with half the caramel sauce. Spoon onto the base.
- Drizzle over the chocolate and the remaining caramel sauce. Scatter over the remaining hazelnuts.
- Put into the freezer to set. Take it out 15 mins before serving.