Korean-Style BBQ Steak With Soy And Sesame Dip
BBQ steak is transformed by this amazing Korean style marinade
- 4 thick sirloin steaks
- 2tbsp soy sauce
- 2tbsp toasted sesame oil
- 5cm piece of ginger, grated
- 2 garlic cloves
- 4tbsp soy sauce
- 2tsp toasted sesame oil
- 2tbsp sugar
- 4tsp rice vinegar
- 2tsp wasabi or horseradish
- 3 spring onions, thinly sliced
Our sweet yet salty and spicy dip is the perfect accompaniment to this beautiful steak. Wasabi adds a quick hit of heat which then mellows in the mouth, but if you don't like this heat, or can't find wasabi, then horseradish can also be used. Barbecue is a cultural tradition in Korea, where families and friends will all gather round the barbecue, often built into the table, as various meats are grilled in front of them. This warm community spirit has led to the creation of delicious flavours which have inspired us this barbecue season.
This dish will be the star of your barbecue spread. Serve it along side Asian-inspired side dishes that will complement the flavours of the marinade. We served ours with a chilled noodle salad with ready-to-wok egg noodles, some sliced radish, soy sauce, a little sesame oil and seeds, spring onions and fresh coriander.
- Put the steaks in a shallow dish. Mix together the remaining ingredients (apart from the dip ingredients) and coat the steaks well. Leave to marinate, covered in the fridge.
- To make the dip, mix everything together except the spring onions (add these just before serving).
- Barbecue the steaks to your liking and serve with the dip.