Moroccan Lamb With Pineapple And Chilli Yogurt
A sweet and spicy flavoured lamb with fresh pineapple and cool yogurt gives this Middle Eastern trend a twist.
- 1kg lamb neck fillet
- 2tbsp Baharat (Moroccan spice blend)
- 350ml strong chicken stock
- zest and juice of 1 large orange
- 300g rainbow (heirloom) carrots
- 50g butter
- 150g thick natural yogurt
- 1 large red chilli, finely chopped
- 2tbsp chopped fresh mint
- 1 pineapple, peeled, cored and sliced
The orange glazed heritage carrots add a wonderful sweetness to the dish and provide a splash of colour, while the chilli yogurt provides a cool kick. This dish requires a bit of time to allow the rich spices and orange to infuse the lamb, but the result is an impressive and filling supper that is worth the wait.
- Brown the lamb in a pan. Heat the oven to150C fan, gas 3. Put the lamb into a casserole dish with a lid. Add the Baharat, stock, zest and half the juice. (Keep the rest of the juice for the carrots and a little zest to garnish.) Bake for 1 hour 30 minutes.
- Cook the carrots in a sauté pan with the orange juice, butter and 150ml water. If the water evaporates, add a little more. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes until tender, then uncover and reduce the liquid until the carrots are nicely glazed.
- Remove the lamb from the liquid and slice. Mix the yogurt, chilli and mint together. Serve the lamb with the yogurt, carrots and pineapple.