Asparagus Caesar Salad
If you love a classic Caesar salad, you'll love this tasty version with crunchy English asparagus, perfect for when it's in season
- 500g asparagus
- 2 lettuce heads (we used Ruby Gem)
- 2 large free-range eggs
- 6 anchovy fillets, drained
- 1⁄2tsp mustard powder
- a splash each of Worcestershire sauce and Tabasco
- juice of 1⁄2 lemon
- 150ml light olive oil
- 20g freshly grated Parmesan
- 3 slices of sourdough bread, torn
- 1tbsp olive oil
Asparagus is a great vegetable to include in your diet as it’s loaded with essential nutrients. With fibre, folate and vitamins A, C, E and K all found in asparagus, you know you’re onto a winner when it comes to upping your five a day. What’s more, this dish also uses anchovies, which are full of essential fatty acids that are great for keeping your heart healthy, as well as eggs, which are a great source of protein and vitamin D. All these additions means this salad not only tastes great, but it’s also packed with ingredients that will keep you healthy.
This salad is super quick to whip up and makes enough to feed eight people, so it’s a great one to try if you’re throwing a dinner party.
- Heat the oven to 160C fan, gas 4. To make the croutons, toss the sourdough chunks in the olive oil, season and bake in a roasting tin for about 5-6 minutes, until crisp.
- Cook the asparagus for 2-3 minutes in boiling water until just tender, drain and cool under running water until cold. Set aside to dry.
- For the dressing, put all the ingredients except the oil and Parmesan into a food processor, and whizz until smooth.With the motor running, gradually add the oil until you have a smooth dressing. Stir in the Parmesan and set aside. This will keep in the fridge for 3 days.
- When the croutons are done, remove from the oven and cool slightly. These will keep in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
- Arrange the lettuce and asparagus on a plate and top with the dressing and croutons. Serve immediately.