Lobster mac and cheese is a really rich, indulgent version of macaroni cheese that the whole family will love. It's a really creamy, cheesy luxury
- 500g macaroni or casarecce pasta
- 1 litre milk
- 125g butter
- 100g plain flour
- 2tbsp Dijon mustard
- 300g Gruyere, grated
- 200g extra mature Cheddar, grated
- 1kg lobster meat (about 4 whole)
- 200g fresh breadcrumbs
- 2 medium-sized ovenproof gratin dishes
You could make this the day before and reheat in the microwave.
While lobster might seem a little pricey, it goes really far in this dish as four lobsters are used to make a dish that will serve up to 12 people – so it’s a cost effective way of cooking with lobster. You needn’t tell your guests that though!
With plenty of cheese and breadcrumbs sprinkled over the top to add an extra layer of crunch, you’ll want to make this dish again and again.
- Cook the macaroni in a large pan of boiling salted water until just tender. Drain and toss in olive oil to prevent sticking.
- Melt the butter in a large pan. Add the flour and cook for a few minutes. Heat the milk separately, then whisk in the milk and keep cooing over a lowish heat until thickened. Stir in the mustard and all the cheese, bar 5tbsp.
- Heat the oven to 190C, gas 5. Mix the sauce into the macaroni. Slice the lobster and stir in. Put into the gratin dishes and top with the breadcrumbs and remaining cheese. Bake for 35 minutes until piping hot, golden brown and bubbling.
Get the best entertainment news, recipes, fashion, beauty and wellbeing advice for you. For FREE.Sign up