An updated alternative to the classic prawn cocktail starter
- 4 rashers pancetta or thin-cut smoked bacon
- 4 slices sourdough bread
- 200g (7oz) fresh white crabmeat
- 1 ripe avocado, peeled, stoned and chopped into 1cm (½in) pieces
- 3 spring onions, finely chopped
- 2tbsp chopped fresh chives
- 2tbsp mayonnaise
- 1tsp tomato ketchup
- ¼tsp cayenne pepper or a shake of Tabasco sauce
- juice 1 small lemon
Make up the crab and avocado mixture and the sauce separately up to three hours ahead
Heat the grill to high. Place the pancetta or bacon on the rack of a grill pan and cook for 3 to 4 minutes until very crispy. Set aside on kitchen paper to absorb any fat and cool completely. While you still have the grill on, toast the sourdough slices on both sides until lightly golden.
Place the crabmeat in a bowl and mix with the avocado, spring onions, chives and roughly crumbled pancetta or bacon. Spoon into 4 small bowls or glasses set on a serving plate with the toasts.
For the dressing, mix together the mayonnaise, ketchup, cayenne or Tabasco and the lemon juice until smooth, and serve spooned over the crab mixture.