You don't need an ice cream machine to make this decadently grown-up frozen dessert recipe
- 175g (6oz) dark chocolate, melted
- 3 large free-range egg yolks
- 75ml (3fl oz) Baileys, or any cream liqueur
- 500ml (18fl oz) double cream, whipped to soft peaks
- 300ml (½pt) water
- 300g (10oz) granulated sugar
- 1.5-litre (2¾pt) loaf tin
To make the stock syrup, gently heat the water and sugar in a heavy-based saucepan, until the sugar has dissolved. Remove 50ml (2fl oz) of the syrup to a separate jug. While still warm, mix the melted chocolate with the remaining stock syrup until well combined. Allow to cool slightly then store in the fridge to cool further.
This stage requires an electric hand whisk. In a large bowl, whisk the egg yolks with the reserved 50ml (2fl oz) of stock syrup until pale and creamy. Now mix in the chocolate and syrup mixture. Gently fold in the Baileys and cream until combined. Pour into the loaf tin, cover and freeze overnight. To serve, leave at room temperature for 5 minutes before scooping into ice cream coupes. Top with chopped chocolate hazelnuts.