Egg fried rice is the perfect accompaniment to prawns, stir-fried chicken or Chinese-style barbecued pork
- 2tbsp peanut oil
- 2 free-range eggs, beaten
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and finely chopped
- 2tsp finely chopped fresh root ginger
- 500g (1lb 2oz) cooked Thai Jasmine rice, chilled overnight in the fridge
- 2tbsp light soy sauce
- ½tsp salt
- 1tsp caster sugar
- 2tsp oyster sauce
- 1tsp sesame oil
- 4 spring onions, cut into fine shreds
Heat a wok until almost smoking. Add 1tbsp of oil, add the eggs and move them around the wok until just set. Remove to a plate and roughly chop.
Wipe the wok with a piece of kitchen paper, return to the heat with the remaining oil until just smoking. Add the garlic and ginger and stir-fry for 1 minute. Add the rice and stir-fry for another minute. Add the soy sauce, salt, sugar, oyster sauce and sesame oil and stir-fry until the rice is coated with the sauce. Return the eggs to the wok with the spring onions, toss everything together and serve immediately.