After all the rich food at Christmas, it's nice to have a sharp, fresh-tasting salad with a hint of chilli and herbs
- 250g (9oz) rice vermicelli
- 2 handfuls bean sprouts
- ½ cucumber, cut into matchsticks
- 3 spring onions, trimmed and finely sliced
- 1 large carrot, cut into matchsticks
- 150g (5oz) cooked turkey, shredded
- 50g (2oz) peanuts, toasted and roughly chopped
- handful mint leaves, torn
- handful coriander leaves
- lime wedges, to serve
- 2tbsp Thai fish sauce
- 2tbsp rice vinegar
- 1tbsp caster sugar
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 red bird's eye chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
- juice 1 lime
This salad would make a great packed lunch – just scatter over the peanuts and herbs before you head off to work or pop them in a separate bag to take with you.
Cook the vermicelli according to the pack instructions. Drain well and rinse under cold water, then set aside to dry at room temperature, covered with a tea towel.
To make the dressing, combine the fish sauce, rice vinegar, caster sugar and 50ml (2fl oz) water in a saucepan and place over a medium heat. Stir well and bring just up to the boil. Allow to cool, add the garlic and chilli and stir through the lime juice.
To assemble the salad, divide the bean sprouts between 4 plates, then top with the vermicelli. Dress the cucumber, spring onions, carrot and turkey and divide equally among the plates, pouring over any remaining dressing. Scatter over the peanuts and herbs, and serve immediately, with lime wedges on the side.