Everyone loves a homemade pie, and this is a great way of using up the last of the classic festive meats
- 50g (2oz) butter
- 450g (1lb) leeks, washed, trimmed and cut into 1cm (½in) slices
- 2tsp thyme leaves, chopped
- 50g (2oz) flour
- 500ml (18fl oz) chicken or turkey stock
- 300g (10oz) cooked turkey or chicken, cut into large pieces
- 200g (7oz) cooked smoked or unsmoked ham, cut into large cubes
- 100g (4oz) cooked chestnuts, quartered (we used Merchant Gourmet)
- 75g (3oz) crème fraîche a scraping of fresh nutmeg
- 350g (12oz) puff pastry
- 1 egg yolk, beaten
- a pie dish measuring around 30.5x25.5cm (12x10in)
For the filling, melt the butter in a large saucepan or casserole, add the leeks and thyme, stir, cover and cook on a low heat for 15 minutes until soft. Add the flour; stir well. Gradually add the stock, a little at a time, stirring until you have a smooth sauce.
Add the turkey, ham and chestnuts. Finally add the crème fraîche, stir well then season with black pepper and a little nutmeg. You may not need to add any salt, depending on how salty the ham and stock are, but taste and add accordingly. The filling can be made up to 1 day in advance and chilled in the fridge.
Put the filling into the pie dish. Heat the oven to 200C, 180C fan, 400F, gas 6. To prepare the pastry, roll it out to the thickness of a £1 coin. Butter the rim of the pie dish. Cut several strips of pastry and press around the edge of the dish. Brush the strips with a little water and place the lid of pastry on top. Make a couple of small holes in the lid with a sharp knife to allow the steam to escape. Press the edges together well, trim off any excess, then knock up the edges and crimp. Use any remaining scraps of pastry to decorate the top of the pie. Mix the egg yolk with 1tsp water and brush liberally over the pastry. 4 Place the pie dish on a baking sheet and cook the pie for 30 to 35 minutes, or until the pastry is crisp and brown and the filling piping hot. Serve immediately.
Get the best entertainment news, recipes, fashion, beauty and wellbeing advice for you. For FREE.Sign up