Ham and Potato Cakes
Golden and crispy potato cakes, flavoured with smoked ham and fresh herbs
- 550g (1lb 4oz) Desirée potatoes, peeled and cut into large chunks
- 300g (10oz) cooked smoked or unsmoked ham, finely chopped
- 1 egg, beaten
- 4 spring onions, trimmed and finely sliced
- 1tsp English mustard powder
- 2tbsp curly parsley, finely chopped
- a little flour, for dusting
- 2tbsp sunflower oil
- salad and mayonnaise, to serve
Wash the peeled potatoes in cold running water to remove as much starch as possible. This will result in a dry, fluffy mash that will crisp beautifully when fried. For extra flavour, add 1tbsp each of wholegrain mustard, chopped shallots, cornichons, capers and parsley
Steam the potatoes for 15 to 20 minutes until tender, cover with a clean tea towel to remove any excess moisture, then mash. Place in a bowl and add the ham, egg, spring onions, mustard powder and parsley. Season and mix well. Divide the mix into 8 equal portions and shape into small cakes. Chill in the fridge for 2 hours or overnight if possible.
Dust the cakes lightly with flour, tapping off any excess. Heat the oil in a large frying pan and when hot, carefully add the cakes. Fry for 3 to 4 minutes on each side, until crisp and golden brown. To serve, drain on kitchen paper and serve with the salad and mayonnaise on the side.