Sweetcorn and Red Pepper Relish
A must-have topping for burgers, this versatile sweetcorn and red pepper relish recipe also works well with roast chicken or grilled prawns
- 500g (1 lb 2 oz) fresh corn kernels, approx 4 large cobs
- 2 red peppers, de-seeded and cut into small dice
- 2 onions, peeled and finely chopped
- 3 celery sticks, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 medium red chillies, de-seeded and finely chopped
- 2 tsp yellow mustard seeds
- 1 tsp celery seeds
- 200g (7 oz) granulated sugar
- 400ml (14fl oz) cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp salt
you will need
- A large saucepan or preserving pan
- Sterilised jars and vinegar proof lids
To remove kernels, stand the cob on its end on a large flat board. Using a sharp knife and cutting downwards, cut the kernels as close to the cob as possible.
1.Place all the ingredients in the preserving pan and cook over a gentle heat, stirring occasionally until the sugar has dissolved.
2. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 40 minutes until the mixture has thickened slightly.
3. Pot into sterilised jars, seal and label when cold.