Mixed Berry Trifle
Mixed berry trifle can be made up to two days ahead, just decorate before serving
- 300g (10oz) blueberries (frozen are fine)
- 1tbsp caster sugar
- 200g (7oz) mixed berries (frozen are fine)
- 250g (9oz) mascarpone cheese
- 3tbsp icing sugar
- ĺtsp ground cinnamon
- ĺtsp vanilla extract
- good grating of nutmeg
- 1tsp ground ginger
- 2 balls stem ginger, finely chopped
- 500ml (18fl oz) double cream
- 75g (3oz) pomegranate seeds
- gold foil-covered sugared almonds
- 300g (10oz) Amaretti biscuits, crumbled
- 100ml (4fl oz) Calvados
- a large trifle dish
To make the base, place the biscuits in the base of the dish and pour over the Calvados. Heat the blueberries and caster sugar in a small pan over a low heat - it should start to look like a compote but should still have whole berries. Mix in the remaining mixed berries and allow to cool, then spoon over the biscuits.
To make the "creamy" layer, mix the mascarpone, icing sugar, cinnamon, vanilla, nutmeg, ground and stem ginger with half the double cream, until it's well combined and forms soft peaks. It should be the consistency of thick custard. Spoon this over the berries. Leave to chill for 2 hours.
To serve, whip the remaining cream until soft peaks form and it can just hold its shape. Top the trifle with the cream then decorate with the pomegranate seeds and, if you like, sugared almonds.