Grown-up brownies! Serve with them a scoop of vanilla ice cream for a special treat
- 200g (7oz) butter
- 200g (7oz) dark chocolate
- 4tbsp Frangelico hazelnut liqueur
- 4 large free-range eggs, separated
- 150g (5oz) light brown sugar
- 200g (7oz) caster sugar
- 150g (5oz) self-raising flour, sifted
- 50g (2oz) cocoa powder, sifted
- 150g (5oz) hazelnuts, roughly chopped
- 100g (4oz) white chocolate, melted, plus a few chocolate sprinkles
- 31x25cm (12x10in) brownie tin, greased and lined with baking parchment
Heat the oven to 180C, 160C fan, 350F, gas 4. Melt the butter and chocolate in a large bowl over a pan of barely simmering water. Once it has melted, stir in the Frangelico.
Whisk the eggs and both sugars in a large bowl until light, pale and creamy. Gently fold in the flour and cocoa powder, then add the chocolate mixture and hazelnuts until just combined.
Pour the mixture into the prepared tin and cook for 25 minutes. The mixture will be sticky when you test it with a skewer, but not raw. Leave to cool.
Remove from the tin, then either with a piping bag or a teaspoon, drizzle over the melted chocolate and scatter over the chocolate sprinkles, then cut into small squares.