A rich broccoli and stilton soup, made with a luxurious white wine stock
- 50g (2oz) butter
- 1 medium onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 sticks celery, finely chopped
- 50g (2oz)) plain flour
- 100ml (3floz) dry white wine
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
- 850ml (1 1/2 pt) free-range chicken stock
- 1 large head of broccoli, florets and stalk finely chopped
- 200g (7oz) Stilton cheese, crumbled
- 3tbsp creme fraiche
In a large pan melt the butter and gently fry the onion and celery over a low medium heat until softened. Add the flour and cook for 3 minutes until light brown then pour in the white wine and simmer to reduce by half.
Add the potatoes to the pan with the stock and simmer for 15 - 20 minutes then add the broccoli for a final 5 minutes until tender.
Add two thirds of the Stilton and the creme fraiche, then whizz in a blender or food processor until smooth. Return to the pan to warm through then divide between bowls and top each with the remaining crumbled Stilton.
Get the best entertainment news, recipes, fashion, beauty and wellbeing advice for you. For FREE.Sign up