A fabulous dessert recipe – make the cookies in advance and assemble the sandwiches at the last minute
- 175g (6oz) unsalted butter, melted
- 200g (7oz) dark soft brown sugar
- 100g (4oz) caster sugar
- 1tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 large free-range egg, plus 1 yolk
- 250g (9oz) plain flour
- ½tsp each bicarbonate of soda and salt
- 200g (7oz) milk chocolate, chopped into small chunks
- 150g (5oz) sour cherries
- ice cream, to serve (we used 1½ tubs of Ben & Jerry's The Vermonster)
- 2 baking sheets, lightly oiled
Heat the oven to 170C, 150C fan, 325F, gas 3. To make the cookies, beat together the melted butter, brown sugar and caster sugar, then beat in the vanilla, egg and egg yolk until light and creamy. Fold in the flour, bicarb and salt until just blended.
Stir in the chocolate and cherries and drop 1tbsp of mixture on to the baking sheets for each cookie - you may have to do this in batches. Don't flatten the dough out. Put them in the oven for 10 minutes, until the edges are crisp. Leave on the baking sheets to cool for a few minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
To assemble, spoon ice cream on to half the cookies (2tbsp on each), top each with another cookie and press down lightly. Serve immediately. The cookies will keep overnight in an airtight container or can be frozen for up to a month.