Shepherd's pie is a classic winter warmer for a great value family meal and this recipe is so easy to make
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 onions, finely diced
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 celery sticks, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 650g (1lb 7oz) lean lamb mince
- few sprigs thyme
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 1Ĺ tbsp worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp cornflour mixed with 1 tbsp cold water
- 500ml (18fl oz) hot lamb stock
- 1kg (2lb 4oz) Maris Piper potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 25g (1oz) butter
Why not make two and freeze one?
Preheat oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4. Heat the oil in a large saucepan over a medium heat and cook onion, carrot and celery for 10 minutes adding the garlic for the last 2 minutes.
Stir in lamb and cook over a high heat for 10 minutes until browned. Sprinkle over the thyme and stir through the tomato puree, Worcestershire sauce, cornflour mix and lamb stock. Season well and simmer for 20 minutes.
Meanwhile, place potatoes in a saucepan of cold water and bring to the boil. Simmer for 15 minutes until tender then drain and mash with the butter.
Transfer the mince to an ovenproof baking dish and spoon over the mash. Bake in the oven for 40 minutes until golden and bubbling.