A moist and fruity version of this favourite cake
- 50g (2oz) raisins
- 50g (2oz) ready to eat dried apricots, chopped
- grated rind and juice 1 orange
- 225g (8oz) plain wholewheat flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1tsp mixed spice
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 125g (4 1/2oz) golden caster sugar
- 125g (4 1/2 oz) coarsely grated carrots
- 2 large eggs
- 75ml (3floz) sunflower oil
- 75 ml (3 floz pt) milk
- 25g (1oz) softened butter
- 300g (10oz) cream cheese
- 25g (1oz) icing sugar
- a greased and lined 20cm or 8" roasting or cake tin.
Soak the raisins and apricots in orange juice and zest while weighing out all the other ingredients.
Pre heat the oven to 180c/160cfan/gas 4.
Place the flour, baking powder, spice and sugar in a large mixing bowl, add the carrots.
Beat together the oil, eggs and milk and add to the flour mixture with the soaked fruits. Stir well and pour into tin. Bake for 20-30minutes until golden and just firm to the touch. Allow to cool then cut into squares
To make the icing, beat the butter, cream cheese and icing sugar together and spread over the cake.