Chestnuts make for a velvety, warming soup, and we've added mushrooms for an earthy touch. Great as a vegetarian starter to an evening meal or as a light dinner.
- 10g (¼oz) dried porcini mushrooms
- 3tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 100g (4oz) chestnut mushrooms, chopped
- 200g (7oz) cooked and peeled whole chestnuts (we used Merchant Gourmet)
- 1tsp thyme leaves, chopped
- 1.5 litres (2¾pt) vegetable stock
- 15g (½oz) butter
- 290g jar marinated mushrooms (we used Sacla' Wild Mushrooms Antipasto)
- handful parsley, chopped
- a little cream, to drizzle
Soak the porcini mushrooms according to the pack instructions. Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large, heavy-based pan and cook the onion and carrot until softened. Add the porcini and chestnut mushrooms, chestnuts and thyme and cook gently for 10 minutes, stirring frequently.
Add the stock and cook for a further 15 minutes. Whizz in a blender, then return to the pan. You can freeze it at this point.
Heat the butter in a frying pan and add the marinated mushrooms, cooking until golden. Scatter over the soup with the parsley and a drizzle of cream, and serve.