Cauliflower cheese soup made with bacon and chicory and a hit of mustard makes a filling meal in itself
- 50g (2oz) butter
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 2 heads cauliflower, cut into florets
- 2 potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- 2tbsp Dijon mustard
- 850ml (1½pt) hot chicken stock
- 300ml (½pt) milk
- 200g (7oz) very strong Cheddar cheese
- 8-10 slices streaky bacon
- 8-10 red chicory leaves, shredded
Melt the butter in a large saucepan and add the onion and garlic. Cook gently without colouring for 10 minutes until softened, then add the cauliflower, potatoes and mustard and cook for a minute before adding the stock and milk.
Bring everything to a gentle simmer, then cook for 15 minutes or so until the potato and cauliflower are tender, add some seasoning and the cheese then whizz in a blender until smooth. Keep warm while you grill the bacon until very crisp, then crumble on top of the soup with the chicory and serve.