Easy chicken soup with vegetables, herbs and ginger will warm you up on a cold day and it's packed with nutrients that will help keep you fit and well
- 2tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 large carrot, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 leek, rinsed and finely chopped
- 2 sticks celery, finely chopped
- 5 slices root ginger
- 1tsp chilli flakes (or to taste)
- 1 star anise
- 6 free-range chicken thighs, skinless and on the bone
- 2 litres (3½pt) good-quality chicken stock
- 2 potatoes, peeled and chopped into small chunks
- 150g (5oz) pearl barley
- 2 handfuls frozen peas
- thyme and parsley, to garnish
This chicken soup recipe is an easy-to-make kitchen staple. With a bit of ginger an chilli flakes, it is a tasty and warming soup that feeds the whole family. If you need a smaller portion, you can always freeze the rest! That way you have delicious chicken broth waiting for you whenever you want a quick and nutritious warm meal. For more cooking inspiration, have a look at our other delicious soup recipes.
HOW TO MAKE CHICKEN SOUP
- Heat the oil in a large pan. Add the onion, carrot, leek and celery and sweat over a low heat until softened but not coloured. Add the ginger, chilli and star anise; cook for a few minutes. Season the chicken and add with the stock. Bring to a gentle simmer, turn down the heat, cover and simmer gently for an hour, skimming any scum off the surface with a spoon.
- Add the potato and pearl barley 25 minutes before the end of cooking and continue to cook, covered, for the remaining time. Add the peas and cook for another 3 minutes. Season, garnish and serve hot. This will keep in the fridge for 3 days, or freeze for up to 3 months.
Get the best entertainment news, recipes, fashion, beauty and wellbeing advice for you. For FREE.Sign up
More Chicken Recipes
More Soup Recipes