A low-fat Thai noodle recipe that's so easy to prepare
- 600-850ml (1-11⁄2pt) chicken stock
- 3 free-range chicken breasts
- 1 star anise
- 3 carrots, peeled
- 1 cucumber, peeled
- 1 red onion, very finely sliced
- ½ head Chinese leaf, leaves torn in half
- 200g (7oz) flat rice noodles, cooked according to the pack instructions
- handful each mint and coriander leaves
- 2tbsp Thai fish sauce
- 2tbsp rice vinegar
- 2tsp sugar
- juice 2 limes, plus extra wedges, to serve
- 1 fresh chilli, deseeded and finely sliced
Heat chicken stock to a gentle simmer in a pan, add chicken breasts and star anise and poach for around 20 minutes, turning once, until cooked through.
To make the dressing, add fish sauce, rice vinegar and sugar to a pan with 4tbsp water. Heat gently until sugar dissolves. Add lime juice and chilli. Set aside.
Using a veg peeler, make ribbons of carrot and cucumber and toss in half the dressing when it's cool. Leave to marinate.
- When the chicken is cooked, leave to cool, then slice into thin strips. Toss with carrots, cucumber, red onion, Chinese leaf, noodles and herbs, and pile on to plates. Serve with remaining dressing.