Halloumi, Red Onion and Pepper Kebabs with Citrussy Pilaf
A delicious kebab recipe that brings together a lovely combination of flavours and so easy to make too
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 200g (7oz) basmati rice, rinsed
- zest and juice 2 lemons
- 100g (4oz) frozen peas
- 500g (1lb 2oz) halloumi, cubed
- 3 red peppers, deseeded and cut into chunks
- 2 white onions, cut into chunks
- handful parsley leaves, chopped
- tomato chutney or relish, to serve
Heat a pan with a little oil or butter, and fry the chopped onion gently for 2 minutes. Add the rice and lemon zest, fry for 1 minute and then add 400ml (14fl oz) cold water and a pinch of salt. Bring to the boil, simmer for 1 minute, then turn the heat right down, cover the pan and cook for 10 to 15 minutes. Stir in the peas 3 minutes before the end of cooking.
Meanwhile, alternate the halloumi, peppers and onion chunks onto kebab skewers and grill on the barbie for 5 minutes, turning halfway through, until the halloumi is crisp and blackened on the outside.
Stir the parsley and lemon juice through the rice, and season just before serving. Serve the kebabs with tomato chutney or relish.