A recipe for delicious, delightfully cute muffins full of feel good ingredients
- 325g (11oz) plain flour
- 125g (4½oz) wholemeal flour
- 1tbsp bicarbonate of soda
- 2tbsp ground cinnamon
- 300g (10oz) unrefined caster sugar
- 300ml (½pt) light vegetable oil or other flavourless oil
- 4 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1tbsp pure vanilla extract
- 100g (4oz) chopped walnuts
- 100g (4oz) desiccated coconut
- 100g (4oz) sultanas
- 300g (10oz) carrots, grated
- 250g (9oz) tinned pineapple chunks, drained and puréed
- 250g (9oz) Philadelphia cream cheese
- 20g (¾oz) butter, softened
- 150g (5oz) unrefined icing sugar, sifted
- 1tsp pure vanilla extract
- juice 1 lemon
- a little marzipan
- green and orange food colourings
Preheat the oven to 180 C, 160 C fan, 350 F, gas 4. Sift the dry ingredients then sugar into a bowl. Add the oil, eggs and vanilla. Beat, then stir in the nuts, coconut, sultanas, carrots and pineapple. Divide the mixture between the muffin cases and bake for 10 to 15 minutes or until lightly browned and a skewer comes out clean. Cool for 30 minutes in their tins.
For the frosting, mix everything together and, using a palette knife, spread over each muffin.
To make the carrots, mix food colourings into marzipan and shape.