This sour cream cake with lavender yields a moist bake that will tantalise the taste buds toped with lavender icing and sparkles
- 4 large egg yolks
- 160g (5oz) sour cream
- 1tsp vanilla extract
- 200g (7oz) plain flour
- 200g (7oz) caster sugar
- 1/2tsp baking powder
- 1/2tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 170g (6oz) unsalted butter, softened
- 200g (7oz) icing sugar
- few drops lavender or grape food colouring
- edible sparkles (optional)
- fresh lavender flowers to decorate
For a beautiful Easter recipe that’s light, looks lovely and tastes great, try this sour cream cake this week and give your taste buds a real treat. It's the perfect Easter cake to try if you're entertaining and would make the most beautiful centre piece for any table.
HOW TO MAKE SOUR CREAM CAKE WITH LAVENDER
- Preheat the oven to 180 C, 160 C fan, 350 F, gas 4. Combine the egg yolks, a quarter of the sour cream and the vanilla extract in a bowl and stir well.
- Sift all the dry ingredients plus half a teaspoon of salt into a large mixing bowl. Add the softened butter and remaining sour cream and whisk on low speed for a couple of minutes to aerate. Gradually add the egg yolk mixture in three stages, beating on high speed for 20 seconds after each addition.
- Pour the mixture into the tin and bake on the centre shelf of the oven for 35 to 40 minutes or until the mixture is well risen and golden brown. Leave the cake to cool in the tin, then invert on to a wire rack to cool.
- To make the icing, sift the icing sugar into a large bowl and add a few drops of warm water to make a soft glace icing. Remove a few spoonfuls of icing and colour with a few drops of lavender food colouring.
- Decorate the cake with the icing and scatter the fresh lavender flowers over the top.
Get the best entertainment news, recipes, fashion, beauty and wellbeing advice for you. For FREE.Sign up
More Baking Recipes
More Cake Recipes
More Easter Recipes