A spiced salmon recipe with seasonal vegetable risotto
- 2tsp sumac
- 1tbsp olive oil
- 4 x 150g (5oz) salmon fillets
- 700ml (11/4pt) vegetable stock
- 50g (2oz) unsalted butter
- 1 onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 225g (8oz) Arborio rice
- 50ml (2fl oz) dry white wine
- 200g (7fl oz) baby courgettes, sliced thinly
- 100g (4oz) petit pois, thawed
- 1tbsp mint, off the stalk and finely chopped
- finely grated zest of 1 lemon
Preheat the grill to its highest setting. Mix the sumac with the olive oil and spread evenly over the top of the salmon fillets.
Bring the vegetable stock to the boil. Melt the butter in a large saucepan and sweat the onion for 5 minutes until soft. Add the rice and coat well with the butter. Pour in the white wine and allow most of it to evaporate, stirring continuously. Add a ladleful of stock and continue cooking until the liquid has been absorbed, stirring all the time. Continue to add the stock bit by bit until the rice swells and becomes creamy. It will take about 20 minutes for the rice to cook.
Add the courgettes, peas, mint and lemon zest. Season and cook for a further 5 minutes until the rice is tender and the vegetables just cooked. Five minutes before the risotto has finished cooking, place the salmon fillets on a baking tray and grill until cooked through. Place the salmon on a warm plate and spoon the risotto on the side. Serve with a salad.