Quick and easy to make, quinoa salad with chickpeas, soy beans and poached chicken is perfect for lunch or a dinner starter
- 120g (41/2oz) quinoa
- 2tsp vegetable stock powder, dissolved in 400ml (14fl oz) water
- 3 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- 1 x 400g tin organic chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 50g (2oz) cashew nuts, roasted
- 25g (1oz) pumpkin seeds
- 15g (1/2oz) sesame seeds, roasted
- 75g (3oz) frozen soy beans, cooked
- 2tbsp rice vinegar
- 2tbsp light soy sauce
- 2tsp toasted sesame oil
- juice 1 lime
- 1tbsp coriander, roughly chopped
Place the quinoa in a saucepan with twice its volume of cold water. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat to a simmer and cook for 15 minutes or until soft. It should almost have a bouncy texture when bitten. Drain any excess water and allow to cool.
Bring the vegetable stock to the boil, add the chicken breasts, reduce the heat and cook for 15 minutes or until cooked through. Remove from the stock and allow to cool. When cold, cut into long strips.
Whisk together all the ingredients for the dressing and set aside. Place the quinoa, chickpeas, cashew nuts, seeds and soy beans in a large bowl, pour over the dressing and mix well. Place in a large bowl, arrange the chicken on top and scatter over the chopped coriander.
Get the best entertainment news, recipes, fashion, beauty and wellbeing advice for you. For FREE.Sign up