Chocolate Almond Torte
This chocolate almond torte recipe is perfect for a get together or afternoon tea that will really impress your guests
- 250g (9oz) butter
- 250g (9oz) dark chocolate, chopped
- 4 free-range eggs
- 150g (5oz) caster sugar
- 85g (31/2oz) self-raising flour
- 75g (3oz) ground almonds
- 200ml (7fl oz) double cream
- 85g (31/2oz) dark chocolate, chopped
- 1tbsp brandy
- 60g (21/2oz) almonds, roughly chopped
- 185g (61/2oz) dark chocolate, chopped
- 125g (41/2oz) butter
- 1tbsp golden syrup
You will need
- 2 x 20cm (8in) square cake tins, greased, lined and floured
- Preheat the oven to 180 C, 160 C fan, 350 F, gas 4. For the filling, heat the cream and pour over the chocolate in a bowl. Add the brandy and stir. Chill for 2 hours.
- Melt the butter and chocolate over simmering water. Cool. Beat the eggs and caster sugar until pale and thick. Add the chocolate mixture, then fold in the flour and almonds. Divide between the cake tins and bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until cooked through. Cool in the tins for 5 minutes then turn out on to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Beat the filling until smooth and thick. Spread one layer of the cake with the filling and sprinkle over the chopped almonds. Top with the other cake and leave in the fridge until you are ready to glaze.
- To make the glaze, melt the chocolate, butter and syrup with 1tbsp water until smooth. Cool then pour over the cake and spread with a hot palette knife. Chill until set and decorate.