20 March 2015
Gel nail polish
is not a new phenomenon, in fact women everywhere have been been taking their seat in the salon chair and popping their digits under UV lights for decades. However a new breed of high street vanishes which claim to deliver the same glossy, high-shine look of a salon manicure without the complexity of LED/UV lights, time-consuming removal and an expense in-salon price-tag have hit the high street. And unlike hard acrylic products, these hybrid formula's combine pure nail vanish with a flexible high-tech gel, which bends and moves with the nail plate meaning if you catch you nail on the car door it's less likely to snap, boasting 7-10 days of chip-free wear.
Of course as with all things beauty (ahem self-tan) preparation is key. If you want a home manicure that lasts the distance you will need to ensure you have a clean and tidy nail plate. Here's how to prime your nail plate at home;
1) It may sound obvious but always start by washing your hands, especially if you have recently used nail vanish remover - this will give your new application of vanish longevity.
2) File your nails into your desired shape - square, oval, squoval or pointed but be careful to only shape the free edge (the white section), resist the temptation to file the full length of the nail from top to toe as it will weaken the nail's structure and increase their chances of snapping.
3) Once your nails are clean, apply a small bead of cuticle cream to each cuticle and massage it into the surrounding skin gently. Next a take a wooden manicure stick
, £1 and rub the slanted edge it across the nail plate in circular motions to lift away any dead cuticle and flaking nail.
Tip: Apply minimal pressure, if you press to hard you risk denting your nail plate or jabbing the delicate skin surrounding it.
3) Then pick up the cuticle cutters and carefully cut away any dead cuticle, skin or over hanging nail which has lifted. Be careful not to start cutting into the eponychium (healthy skin above the cuticle), you will know if you do this as it will bleed.
4) Finally wash your hands a final time to remove the dust from filing and any cuticle cream residue.
Your nails are now ready for your polish/gel application, we;ve selected our favouite highstreet gel systems below….