Woman & Home Forums

Meet women just like you by joining the woman&home forum and clubs today. Plus, enjoy our exclusive competitions, offers and events.

Sue's blog

Sue James

w&h Forum Update: Now Live!

Thread: How quickly does your out of hours Dr phone you back?

How quickly does your out of hours Dr phone you back?

Rang out of hours Dr 3 and a half hours ago and we still haven't had a phone call back. I know it isn't anything life threatening but think Mr A has shingles and I know it is important to get the tablets asap. Unfortunately he has had this painful rash since yesterday morning but we just thought it was an allergic reaction to something but realised this evening it is very like shingles. He rang them back after 90 mins had passed and was told it would be at least another 90 mins!! I've only used the OOH a couple of times previously but they rang me back really quickly.

I think a wait time of over 3 hours is totally unacceptable. Just wondered how long you have to wait in your area if you call them.

only had to phone once to the out of hours but dr rang back within 30mins. so yours must have been busy- no excuse i know. hope you managed to get him treated. you should inform your health centre about your experience with the out of hours as they can give them the feedback

Thanks for replying Jeanf - so many have viewed but no replies so I appreciate you answering me. They eventually called 5 and a half hours later which just seems so wrong. If that is a Sunday night I wouldn't like to be phoning on a Fri or Sat. Bad case of shingles so he is in bed feeling extremely sorry for himself and very sore.

Hope he feels better soon. Tell him to be a good patient and not have you running circles round yourself - hope there aren't too many stairs for you to climb!

I viewed earlier but couldn't answer your question. In Greece we don't get house calls and ambulances are like needles in haystacks. If you're ill you usually have to get yourself to the clinic or hospital, if you can get through the traffic! Usually means a lot of red light jumping and one hand on the wheel, one on the horn!

Thanks Margaret - maybe I shouldn't be complaining when I hear of your situation That sounds so bad for you all in Greece.

Have had to ring out of hours doctors a few times over the years and as far as I can remember have always had them ring back within an hour. Don't know whether it is still the case but they tell you to ring back if you haven't heard anything within an hour. Must be well over a year since I last had to ring so possibly with all the cuts it may have changed in our region!!!!!!

Hope your OH soon begins to feel more comfortable.

Take care.
    Deann x

I've never used the out-of-hours Doctor in my area, but I have called the one in Kent, where my brother lives, and I think the longest I've waited is an hour. Five and a half hours is ridiculous.

We have an NHS drop-in centre in town, which is open from 8.00am to 8pm every day of the year. When my shingles rash appeared during a Saturday evening/night, I was on their doorstep at 7.30 the next morning.

Hope Mr aec soon feels better.
    ​Rosa xx

Life isn't a matter of milestones, but of moments.