Woman & Home Forums

Meet women just like you by joining the woman&home forum and clubs today. Plus, enjoy our exclusive competitions, offers and events.

Sue's blog

Sue James

w&h Forum Update: Now Live!

Thread: Removing smell of urine from elderly persons bathroom

Removing smell of urine from elderly persons bathroom

Apologies for this not too pleasant subject but am really stuck. I have been clearing out an elderly persons house over the last couple of months. I really bleached and cleaned bathroom very well last June when house became empty but it always smells of urine

Every week I go I clean it and it couldn't be any cleaner but still as soon as I walk towards the loo I smell urine. Am now wondering could it be the seat? It is a wooden one but has been totally bleached etc so many times and it isn't one of the old real wood ones - it was quite a new seat so I don't think anything could really have got ingrained in it. The whole toilet inside and out has been cleaned so well I am totally at loss.

Floor is tiled so that has been very simple to clean and even bought new mop etc so feel I have tried everything I know.

Hope some of you ladies will have a good tip for me. Hope to get house let very soon so will try a new seat if no-one has any new ideas.

Re: Removing smell of urine from elderly persons bathroom

Are they ceramic floor tiles with grout between the tiles? I used to work at a nursery school where the lavatories stank because the incorrect sort of grout had been used, it was too porous and the tiles were also too porous. The problem was only solved when the floor was re-tiled with the correct sort of tiles and grout. Alternatively if they are the stick on sort of vinyl floor tiles the urine has probably soaked in under the tiles and they will have to be replaced.

Thank you Mrs Q and welcome to forum. They are proper tiles with grouting so that is something I will have a look at.

aec,
    You say you always detect the smell as you walk towards the bathroom.I just wondered if it could be the carpet outside the bathroom...perhaps an accident, if an elderly person lived there?

Hi Kate

It is as I walk towards the toilet that the smell just hits me which made me think of the seat. Interesting reply earlier which mentioned the grouting etc so that is also something i will look into.

Aec,
    I am not sure from what you have said whether the house is currently inhabited by a slightly incontinent person? If there is someone living there, then I agree with Kate that a carpet is probably the problem.
    If no-one is living there, I cannot understand why "old" urine is still causing such a smell. I would remove the loo seat and all carpet and see if that makes any difference. My other thought would be is there a stray cat anywhere, spraying urine about?
    Ultimately if the house is empty, why is there still a urine smell or is it just an old damp smell that is very similar to it?

Hi Gill3SQ

No-one has lived in it since last June. That is why it is baffling me as flooring is tiles which are easily cleaned and toilet very well cleaned, bleached etc. I have also shampooed the carpet on way to bathroom in case he had a little accident but carpet seems fine. I also light a lemon candle each time I am in but as soon as I walk back in it hits me.

I breed cats and had a urine smell problem on carpets and tiles which I sorted out by using non-bio detergent. Worth a try ? cakelover

Have you tried spraying and spraying with Febreze? My OH sometimes had accidents and this works sometimes. When he had a night bag which he opened by mistake, the carpet was saturated. I had it professionally cleaned but my cats kept going in there and using the room like a toilet. One day, I was sitting on the carpet and I could smell it so got rid of the carpet and there was a huge stain on the chipboard floor!

My dad had a stroke and his whole flat absolutely stunk! We paid a neighbour to clean it and it was fine till the next tenant put the heating on - then all the carpets had to be replaced!