Woman & Home Forums

Meet women just like you by joining the woman&home forum and clubs today. Plus, enjoy our exclusive competitions, offers and events.

Sue's blog

Sue James

w&h Forum Update: Now Live!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help! Why do shingles make you so tired?

Help! Why do shingles make you so tired?

Iam off work due to shingles at the minute, it's horrible! Not only do I have an awful pain but all my nerve endings are at screaming point. What I need to know is why do shingles make you feel so exhausted and tired all the time. Anyone got any advice? Plezzzzzzzzzzz.

Re: Help! Why do shingles make you so tired?

Sorry that you're poorly Frangelina. Have no idea why you feel so exhausted and tired but I think what you're experiencing is par for the course with shingles

I've just had a quick look on http://www.medinfo.co.uk/conditions/shingles and here's what it says

"Most people are surprised by how ill they feel with shingles. This seems out of proportion with the extent of the skin involved. There is a general debility and exhaustion, sometimes with aches and pains and sometimes a mild fever. Depression is often a feature of shingles, as in many other viruses. You may need up to three weeks off work."

All I can suggest is that you don't try and do too much - make the most of your time off work and enjoy the forum !

Take care - hope you feel better soon.

Thanks for that. Never thought to look on net. DOH! Thats because I cant keep awake long enough to think straight.

i had shingles about 8 years ago. i was off work for 5 weeks and can honestly say it's worse than childbirth !! i had a normal birth and a caesarean but the shingles pain went on for over 3 weeks,at least the other pain was over in a day !! someone asked me to describe the pain when i was in floods of tears once,the only way i could describe it was like someone ironing on my back whilst sticking pins in at the same time. i couldn't sleep for the pain so that's probably why i was so tired. the extra strong painkillers i took worked for about an hour and gave me chronic constipation,lovely !

I too got shingles - started off I felt very unwell and went to Doc's - pains everywhere - they thought it might be DVT and sent me to hospital - nothing found!! Next day found a red mark on my chest, still feeling really unwell went to own GP who, when she saw it, diagnosed shingles. Thereafter everything went downhill, cannot remember a few of the days because in so much pain - excruciating pain - Doc said it would be one of the worst pains ever felt - no exaggeration there then. Rash spread from neck right down to breasts! Was off work for 3 weeks and felt weak for quite some time. Was thereafter diagnosed as being anaemic so get your bloods checked. I think it just shakes up your body so much that you need to take extra special care of yourself after to recover.

You poor thing Frangelina, I've come back to this post after digging through my old copies of W&H cos I rememberd a page on shingles -I too didn't think of the net, double-durr. It says that you should have been put on Acyclovir or Famciclovir within 72 hours of the rash appearing, and suggests calamine lotion and painkillers for the pain. Little oone had chickenpox before christmas which is the same strain and was soothed with oat baths suggested by someone on the forum (oats not the instant kind mind, in a muslin bag squeezed into the bath water). Also you must be careful not to give chickenpox to those who haven't had the latter, especially babies under one, so avoid dancing in creches until the rash has completely healed. All the very best and hope you feel better soon.

Many thanks to you all. Pain is worse than horrid. Nerve endings are screaming . Energy levels are minus 300. well thats what it feels like. Thank goodness for this forum.Its keeping me sane.

Just to say I'm sorry to hear you are so poorly, hope you feel better soon.

How do you catch/contract shingles. LC (hypochondriac!)

My sympathies are with you Frangelina, I do know how horribly painful and exhausting it is having had shingles myself about ten years ago.

Just make sure you do rest plenty and look after yourself. I ended up with varicella pneumonia after the shingles which apparently is not that uncommon a complication, and was told that I had not rested and taken as much care as I should.