Woman & Home Forums

Meet women just like you by joining the woman&home forum and clubs today. Plus, enjoy our exclusive competitions, offers and events.

Sue's blog

Sue James

w&h Forum Update: Now Live!

Thread: levothyroxine & dry peeling lips

levothyroxine & dry peeling lips

Hi i've been on 100mg levothyroxine for 2 years. I have a lip condition that never heals up. I wondered if anyone on this forum suffers with the same side effects?

Re: levothyroxine & dry peeling lips

Hello Lizzy

Sorry I cannot help you on this one.....but I'm sure one of the ladies on the forum will....even if they do not answer tonight.

Oh! from me to the forum.

Freesia

Lizzy ,Ive been on levothyroxine for about 4 years but I haven't experienced any side effects with it.
    Is what you are experiencing a known side effect or could it be due to something else?
    Dec

Hi Freesia. Thankyou for your welcome.
    Hi Dec,
    Don't know if this lip peeling is a side effect but ever since taking Levo I have had dry blotches on my face that take about 2 weeks to heal up. This dry blotch has now settled on my lip & it is very sore & feels like a burn sensation-it heals, peels off & then the whole process starts again. I have tried all sorts of lip medications & vaseline products to no avail. Finally I went to my GP who prescribed Micropin an anti-biotic.. He was reluctant to give me anything because of it being on my mouth ... I've been researching the web & I am now actually putting white wine vinegar on the place..only because I had some fish & chips with vinegar (naughty!!! ) & the vinegar soothed my lip!!!!
    I have to go for a dental check-up next week so hopefully I will be able to open my mouth & my lip doesn't split...
    Hope I get some input from this forum 'cos I'm sure many people must suffer from this small but annoying complaint..

Hi lizzy if vinegar helped and doc was thinking of antibiotics perhaps Tea Tree oil or lavender oil,or better still a mix of both might help,or maybe Bio oil?
    Decx

Hi again Dec,
    I've tried lavender oil & tea tree oil...even rubbed manuka honey on it! Did think of buying some Bio oil...maybe I'll give it a try ..thanks.
    Lizzie x

Hi lizzy - Welcome - I have been taking levothyroxine for 8 years and haven't had that particular side effect. I have heard that evening primrose cream is a lovely, soothing & healing cream. I haven't tried it myself but have been recommended it for my sisters recent hysterectomy scar!
    Anne xx

thanks for your input Anne.
    I'll try anything, cos I went to the dentist today & although he didn't seem to mind I had to tell him about my lip & that I couldn't open my mouth very wide...Needless to say he didn't warrant the need for any dental treatment!
    I'm beginning to get a bit worried about this though & don't want to go down the cancer route!
    Thanks
    regards Lizzy

Hi ALL,
    Just thought I'd let you know that I think I've found the cause of my dry peeling sore lips! Don't think it is the Levo. I've tried using umptine potions to try & cure them. Really began to be desperate..Recent visit to dentist & he mentioned whether I was allergic to anything.. the only thing that I use daily is TOOTHPASTE- so I've stopped using it..& hey presto my lip is healing up... shame about my smelly breath though!!!! lol